Translate

Monday 23 April 2012

Kony follow up...

I don't know about anyone else but I certainly didn't see many, if any, posters, stickers or murals in relation to the Make Kony Famous Campaign by the group Invisible Children. When I was down on the Gold Cost I saw two posters, one on a street sign and the other, I think, was on a lamp post. That was the extent that Kony reached out in that part of town as far as I can tell. I don't know about other places or about other parts of the world but as far as I can tell, it flopped. People failed to take action from the internet to the streets.
I read this article from the Guardian (Kony 2012 Cover the Night fails to move from internet to the streets) where few people were found supporting the cause and there was even a silence over facebook and twitter about the subject. People seemed to avoid it altogether.
So the unity that this video was trying to coordinate on a global scale has largely flopped, severely damaging the credibility of the campaign. The video may have failed to attract the size of reaction that it was hoping for but they still got some sort of reaction.
They told their audience to never give up but after this underwhelming reaction, what will they do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment