Translate

Friday 27 April 2012

ANZAC


Last year my older sister and I travelled Europe and we ended up in Istanbul, Turkey. Since we were there we decided that we had to go to Gallipoli because if you think about it, how many times does one find themself in Turkey? We decided to go on a day trip because our time in Turkey was short. We got up at 5am and boarded the bus that would take us to the renowned landing place of our country’s heroes. It was a 5 hour trip and the air conditioning was freezing. After a quick stop for some lunch we met our tour guide (a Turkish man who is one of the best historians when it comes to Gallipoli) and continued to Anzac Cove and the memorial sites.


It is such a beautiful, peaceful and respectful place. I didn’t expect it to, but it really got to me emotionally. There is a quote from the President of Turkey in 1934, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, who also fought in Gallipoli, that has been put on a memorial for all to see.

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives...You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours.You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now living in our bosom and are in peace. Having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.



It’s very beautiful. Looking at all the graves that line the coast is really quite hard. Reading all the quotes and what relatives have chosen to put on their loved one’s grave is again really hard. One of the graves just reads “Thank You” That’s it. Tears were welling up in my eyes at that point and I could barely bring myself to read anymore. What a beautiful thing to say and so simple. This is now what Anzac Day means for me, just the chance to look back, reflect and say thank you. Thank you for all that you did.

Each year on Anzac Day, I would always be a part of the march, representing my school and would always be playing in the band for the school Anzac Day Ceremony but it never really got to me emotionally. That all changed this year. My family and I walked to our local parade where we dropped my sister off so that she could walk with her school. I clapped as all the veterans, war widows and school children walked by as you do. Then we walked up to where the ceremony was being held. It was being held at the Buderim Mountain Primary School under the massive pine trees that they have there. It was overcast and there was a cold wind blowing through. The chairs were set out for all the special guests, the public crowded around in whatever space they could, the small stage was elevated set with the microphone and the community band was positioned next to the stage. The speeches began and then it was time to sing Abide with me. As I was singing, my eyes brimmed up with tears. I took a moment to steady myself and continued watching. When the wreaths were being laid and the war widows went up to lay their wreaths, I again could not contain my emotion and had tears threatening to surge down my face. Then a boy from one of the local schools read a poem about an old digger who sits on a bench and a boy approaches him and asks what the medals are for and whether he has them because he is a hero. To this the digger replies that he is not a hero but all those that lost their lives are. He then gives the boy the medals and tells him to treasure them and not to forget the heroes that died in the war. At this I could barely see through the tears and the fact that Last Post and the Reverie didn’t leave me in a good state. Never has Anzac Day affected me this much. This year for some reason it finally hit home and I could not keep the tears from flowing. I don’t know if was because I have been to Gallipoli and have seen where these men (and women) fought and heard about the conditions they were living in just to fight for their country and the freedom of their country or not but this year was beautiful and really emotional. Maybe I finally understand what Anzac Day is all about.

 I have a lot of respect for those serving whether I agree with the war they are fighting or not. When I went back and joined my family I was again in tears to the point where I hid under my hoodie until I had composed myself enough to attempt to look respectable (and all this emotion when I was just talking about how I have a lack of emotional response to many things). It was very emotional service for me and I think that it’s the best service I have been to yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment