Translate

Tuesday 18 September 2012

It's a Wonderful Life

If you haven't seen this movie, then I suggest you get off your ass and do it. Now. Don't even read this blog (yes I will forgive you), get the DVD, get comfortable and don't move until it's over. It's worth it. You will thank me afterwards.
 
 
I should warn you that the first few minutes is a little weird and you will probably think I am crazy for telling you to go and watch this movie but stick with it. The way it starts, it can only get better and wow! does it get better.

I don't know if this movie could get any cuter. It's just so filled with happiness that it would probably explode if they tried to add anything else to it. Whilst filming it, the cameras would have given up working, just to soak up the happiness that this movie emits. The crew would have been unable to work again because they would be drunk on the cuteness. If they were able to release the film, the audience would never be able to leave the cinema. If they were ever able to release a DVD then the DVD players would never play another disc.


So luckily for you, this movie is ridiculously cute but not so cute that everyone and everything is immobilised, so it's a good thing. You wouldn't be able to appreciate it if you became a zombie on the cuteness so it's better this way.

According to my brother and backed up by Wikipedia (which I know isn't the most trustworthy site but in this case I believe it), when the film first came out, it was a flop. People were very underwhelmed and with it's high production costs, it lost over $500 000 at the box office. Ouch. So how does this film go from flop to classic? Well, someone forgot to renew the copyright, TV channels still had to pay royalties but that cheaper than having to pay copyright in full every time you want to play it. And so this film was played a lot. And then when everyone realised how great it was, it got played even more. And then when they noticed that it had Christmas attached to it, they played it every Christmas holidays and then twice on the Christmas holidays with one screening even on Christmas Eve.


Frank Capra, the director, said; "It's the damnedest thing I've ever seen, the film has a life of its own now, and I can look at it like I had nothing to do with it. I'm like a parent whose kid grows up to be president. I'm proud... but it's the kid who did the work."

No comments:

Post a Comment